Crewing- Mass Post

At 8am I woke up. I got a call from Ashley, our coordinator, leader, and founder of MS Run the US. She congratulated me on the finish of my segment, and notified me that a lady from town wanted to treat us to lunch.

We met up with the lady, Lisa, at the park in Milford around 11:30am. Jess, the segment 4 runner and her husband joined us since they got to town a day before she was to start running. Lisa had graciously made us macaroni salad, cookie salad, and picked up a platter of Subway sandwiches for us all to eat. I ate way too much food again; I’m sure due to the run from the night before. The cookie salad was absolutely delicious. We met her family and hung out in the living room of her house across the road for a while, and traded stories with everybody. She made us feel right at home, and very welcome.

A good part of the day was spent in Frisco, a ghost town about 20 miles outside of Milford. It used to be a big mining town with a few thousand people back in the late 1800s. At one time, there were over 20 saloons there. The town was known for bring rowdy, and had a fair amount of murders. They also had kilns that they made charcoal in. Those giant rock “igloos”, so to speak, were of the few remaining buildings in the town.

We all approached a basement of a building that once remained, now, essentially a concrete pit in the ground. A Jackrabbit had fallen in and was trapped. Jess’ husband, scott, and I jumped down to try to free the rabbit. It had a broken leg and was terrified of us. The pit was full of metal and old wood boards. I was more concerned with snakes that of the metal, but neither were a problem. We tried leaning wood up the edges to make a ramp for the rabbit, but it didn’t understand and would jump off halfway up. After messing around for 15 minutes, I took off my shirt and cornered the rabbit with Scott. I held my shirt stretched tight infront of me, and lunged forward at the rabbit. I wrapped the back half of its body into my shirt. Immedidately, the rabbit was squirming and kicking, and making a very loud screaming sound. I didn’t know rabbits could talk! I threw it up and over the foundation of the building. It landed square on its feet, and took off after pausing in momentary confusion. I felt like I did a good deed for the day.

The charcoal kilns smelled like ash still, and made for incredible pictures due to the bricks that had fallen and allowed many angles of sun and shadows into the rooms.

We explored at random a while longer before heading to Penny’s Diner for the second time in 24 hours for dinner. Again, I ordered a tall stack of pancakes, and a breakfast burrito.

May 6, 2014

Today was my second day of crewing for Jess. It was a great day at start. We went through the middle of mountains, and did about 2500 feet of gain in the first 13ish miles. The road then went to a two track, and things went downhill, figuratively and literally, very fast. Most of my segment was two track, so I didn’t think much of it. We took the Toyota Camry down a hill I was sure we would not make it back up since it was mostly large rocks and sand.

At the bottom andaround a corner, the road ended. Ka-put. Gone. The highway was right in front of us, just 50 meters away, but blocked by a 3 foot tall barbed wire fence. I tried to bend the posts and untwist the wiring, but it was no use. I called Ashley, and between Charlie, Jess, Ash and I, we all decided to try to get the car up the hill. I drove the Camry backwards for a couple hundred meters before we found a spot to do a million-point turn around. The hill was ahead, just after a very narrow section next to a three-foot drop off that would surely end the Camry. We made it though that, just as we did the first time. Knowing I could not stop before the hill started in order to keep momentum, I quickly warned the crew, in cleaner terminology, “it’s gonna be rough guys, hold on to your stuff!” and gunned the car forward. We went over some large rocks, the front wheels going every which direction, and me pulling it back to straight. I bounced around in my seat a bit, and my camera, which was resting on the center console, went flying into the back seat. The car bottomed out on a couple of things, which had happened all day long during my segment. Barely still moving, the car got to the top and crept over the crest of the hill. We BARELY made it up.

It was easy going from there on out. We passed through a cow pen with the car as Jess ran, and I took selfies with some cows.

We made it to the highway via the CORRECT route (the hill was off course, if that wasn’t obvious) and she finished up for the day.

We found camp in Fishlake national forest. I got the RV in a tight area and we had to unhitch the camry from the dolly and back out of there. Ultimately, I got us to the campground, which had nobody else in it since it is still considered winter in Utah. (in Michigan, this is mid summer)

I went for a trail run, my first run since the 50 miler 3 days prior. I gained 1200 feet in 3 miles, and turned around once it got dark. I flipped on my Black Diamond Storm headlamp and made my way back, getting my feet pleasantly wet in the multiple stream crossings. I found a deer jaw bone in the trail. Bones are a rare find anywhere. I thought it was pretty cool. I sang to myself to alert any bears or snakes that may have been nearby, the lyrics completely random. (but mostly about running, and pancakes)

I got back and showered off in the river, since water was still turned off for the season and it is out of the question to use up the fresh water tank in the RV for that. The river was MAYBE 55 degrees. It was a cold shower for sure.


Today was an easy day of crewing. That’s about it. We made tacos for dinner, and are staying at a KOA in Fillmore Utah, where there is full hookup to everything, plus wifi and cable. It’s not even camping now. I spent 5 hours typing up 15 pages of blog stuff on Word. Boom. Done! Time to post!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s