Concrete Leg Syndrome- Day 5

The morning came way too soon. I was up with the sun, natural as ever, at about 6:30am. I peered out the windows to see the previously black surroundings of the town I had run into the last night. We were surrounded by boulder-covered hills and, keeping the status quo, more mountains.  It was beautiful, as I expected. To our luck, we had conveniently camped in the parking lot of the local Family Fare grocer. (mission accomplished?)

We bought food for a few more days of the trip. I ate about 4 bowls of captain crunch for breakfast, on top of some Greek yogurt and coffee. Coffee coffee coffee.

We ventured back out to the previous nights route so that we could all see what we missed due to the blanket of the night. It all lived up to the expectations, and I climbed up on one of the hills/mountains that were covered in boulders.

We moved camp to Cathedral Gorge, about 15 miles to the north (?) of Caliente, and then drove back to town for me to start my run that evening. When I was dropped off, we all decided we were hungry, and pizza sounded good. I called the nearest pizza place, and gave them delivery directions to hand me a pizza about 3 miles south of their shop on the side of the highway. Unfortunately, they didnt have a delivery service, so we couldn’t make a gem of a scene out of that. We were, however, able to film inside of the bar of the pizza restaurant of me picking it up. The place was called the “Hide Away”, one of the oldest buildings in the town, with the original foot-thick brick walls. The staff were excellent, and pleasantly friendly. Not only that, but the pizza was good enough to knock your socks off.

After inhaling a couple slices, I continued up a long gradual hill toward highway 319. My legs were SO heavy from the night before. I felt like I was pulling cinder blocks behind me. I stopped on the side of the road to stetch, while the film crew followed just ahead, with TK hanging out the back of the Prius with his monstrous camera. A cop pulled up behind them, and flipped his lights on.

I walked on over to catch the commotion. The cops actually stopped just to say hi. One was a runner, and offered his support if we needed it, gave advice, and layed out some of the topography for us. He even let us hang out with the drug-sniffing attack dog he had with him, which was like a giant teddy bear as long as you weren’t carrying anything illegal. We were delighted by the incredibly friendly townspeople. No joke, the same thing happened with cops  just moments later. Just nice guys, dropping by to say hi and make sure we were all right.

I ended my run at 11 miles that night, which was fine since I was 45 miles ahead of schedule.  As soon as we got to camp, I showered up and hit the sheets.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s